Pages

Memories Are a Persistent Lot

December 24, 2012

“What I like about photographs is that they capture a moment that’s gone forever, impossible to reproduce.” 

― Karl Lagerfeld

There is something infuriating about memories and recollections and there is something “un-put-down-able” about them. However, as L.M. Montgomery stated in her novel The Story Girl, “Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.” Memories can be a beautiful dream or the worst nightmare, I chose to pen down the former today!

A strong man with a gentle heart and the most charming smile I have seen till today, whom I always known to be my father, or “Pa” as I used to call him, is one of the few who makes the recollections even more effortless. 

I was in my 9th summer when he vanished in the nick of time. Since, I was not old enough to understand much, cry or complain, I kept mum. The first year without him was about genuinely remembering him and giving into melancholia. Few more seasons whizzed past and Pa started taking refuge in occasional references. The suspected well wishers and people in our relation kept the flame of pathos alive.

His memories started to fade in the din of growing up. Even his clothes, shoes, wallet and saved-up coins turned cold and disappeared from mind’s vicinity. 

But memories are a persistent lot.

The beautiful walks with Pa, narrative nights and Saturday evening badminton sessions are all relived again and again. Not everything was rosy though. Every Math session I used to have with him ended in boredom and disgust – a mutual feeling. Mental Math, as far as I remember, was a complete jerk that tried to create a rift between us. There were discussions, giggles, lessons and a feeling of protection.

Today, when I look back in retrospection, the only question that crops up is why? Why did everything happen in a hurry? Though, I am not among the ardent takers of consolation, and yet I feel I spend more hours with him, even when he is not around!

“Sharing tales of those we've lost is how we keep from really losing them.” ― Mitch Albom, For One More Day

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Email this post


4 Comments: to “ Memories Are a Persistent Lot

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster